Sunday, February 14, 2010

Another big step forward...


After the last two day's successful effort at giving Zelda a fine tuning, I decided I had to make my next fearful step forward today. Three keys have never played. So I made the decision I'd at least find out why even if I couldn't repair them at this point.

Gulp!!! That meant finally opening up the case in order to take out the action. In addition to reading everything Randy Potter has to say about this, I read Reblitz' book, watched YouTube videos and checked out several other piano repair web sites. And I'm glad I did. While all of them were basically giving the same information about removing a grand's action, each had different nuggets of "watch out for this". And following my credo of "do no harm" with Zelda, I took into account all the cautionary notes and finally did the deed around 3 PM today. It was a successful surgery...with nothing broken.

Since someone had previously be overzealous in screwing down the key stop rail which keeps the keys from falling out when you move a grand, it took a bit longer to expose the action and keys than I'd anticipated. I had to figure out a tool that would go deep enough into the hole they'd created and still remove the five posts that secure the rail without marring the rail and/or stripping the post screws.

While I was contemplating how to accomplish this task, I spent about an hour and cleaned the soundboard with a soundboard steel and cloth. That fine layer of dust accumulated over the years is pretty significant. When I was cleaning up after all was over this evening, the fresh vacuum cleaner bag was about a third full from the dust and debris that came out of Zelda's innards. And, of course, as long as they were fully exposed, I decided to clean the keytops, harp and keybed.

All the cleaning was delaying tactics, of course; but it came to me how to remove the key stop rail safely using two jewler's screwdrivers simultaneously. And finally, I was able to separate the action from the keys.

I'd been anticipating the worst for the three notes that wouldn't play; but as soon as I could see the keys, it was obvious what was going on. Somehow three balance rail pins had managed to pop out over the years and wander to another section of the piano (also probably accounting for that rattle around middle C). Fortunately, I found them all and was able to put them back in to their rightful home with new cloth punchings that came with the Randy Potter course materials. After putting the action and keys back together--presto, they worked.

Amazingly for a 100 year old instrument, there are no broken parts anywhere else. After I got the dust off everything, the action looked as if it could have come out of the factory only a year or so ago. Everything lines up, all the hammers are straight, backchecks all work, key tops are in incredible conditon, not a single broken wippen, dampers all seat well as does the sostenuto. Zelda is turning out to be in much better shape that I'd hoped.

Since my possible worst nightmare was turning into a dream, I had extra time so I decided to work on the hammers a bit. They're pretty hard with deep cut grooves so the sound is just a bit brittle to my ears. I don't have all the hammer shaping and voicing tools yet (nor enough knowledge) so, I decided just to take a wire brush to the hammer heads to soften them up a bit and get rid of the deep grooves.

Even that small correction makes an incredible difference. Zelda went from sounding tinny to having a lush warm voice -- especially in the base and mid-range. I can only imagine what she'll sound like once she's properly voiced.

I think next steps are just to enjoy playing her for a while as I continue working through the course materials. I'm exhausted; but it was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment