Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Key aesthetics...


As long as I'm working on Zelda's action and have it scattered through the cottage, I figured it's time to repolish the ivories and relacquer the sharps. I started this evening with the sharps after polishing up the capstans.
Years of playing had worn away the sides of the sharp keys. Wherever a finger could come down between the sharps, the raw wood showed through -- not especially beautiful. "Sharp Black" lacquer is the answer. Thankfully, it's self leveling and doesn't leave visible brush marks. So Zelda's sharps are looking pretty good right now after several hours of careful prep and painting.
Tomorrow evening I hope to start cleaning up the ivories with brown Rottenstone (Tripoli) polish. Going to need to get a buffing wheel attachment for my drill to do that properly; but am looking forward to seeing where I can take them aesthetically.

1 comment: