Thursday, May 13, 2010

No triumph this evening...


Not every step along the way is a sure one. This afternoon I went over to Frank's for my epoxy lesson. Seemed simple enough. You create a mold of the section you want to fill, line it with wax paper (which apparently is one of the few things epoxy won't bind with), mix up the resin & hardener, then start filling. He was extremely generous with his time and knowledge -- he'd even prepared some sample mold strips and gave me some clamps to get started. He also told me where to get his favorite brand of epoxy.

So after the lesson I headed over the marine supply store, making it just before it closed. The store owner seemed very knowledgeable -- so knowledgeable that he convinced me the brand that Frank likes to use (which he no longer carries) was inferior. "If you want something that's perfect everytime, you need to use the West system." Sold. Perfect everytime sounded good. So I plunked down $72 for the resin, hardener and dispensing system and came home.

After making a little dinner I got everything ready. Laid out the tools, read the instructions and made the mold that's shown in the photo above for the first section of Yuri's keyframe I wanted to fill.

There's definitely a difference between Frank's product and the West product. His epoxy was viscous and the West product is watery. So I'm thinking, that's great -- it means I can get into the tight places without having to work the epoxy in as Frank had demonstrated. However, my mold wasn't perfect. Apparently, there was one small place I'd missed which allowed the mixture to pour out onto the work surface. Fortunately, I'd prepared the workbench with heavy builder's paper just in case something went wrong. Unfortunately, something went wrong.

Clearly, I missed a memo on the "perfect everytime"!

Right now Yuri's keyframe is sitting outside. No rain is expected so it should be safe. I'll give it another try Saturday, which hopefully will give me some time to figure out what I did wrong and get over my initial disappointment. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment