Saturday, May 29, 2010

Moths in the Knabe...


Tuesday and Wednesday evenings were focused on getting the sharp keys refurbished. Thursday is my day off from work. I awoke energized and ready to get to work on the polishing up all the ivories with rottenstone (which I did; but that's another post).
After removing all the keys from the keyframe it was obvious that moths had been at work over the years in the backcheck felt. It was so thin in many spots it's amazing Zelda wasn't clacking with every key pressed down.
Termites had destroyed much of the Stieff's keyframe and felts (still working on that one as well) so I'd already purchased a new backcheck felt for that instrument. Fortunately, it was the same size so it got used for Zelda's moth eaten felt instead.
Pianos don't respond well to the excess humidity of the tropics; but it's clear our climate comes with some other less visible enemies -- critters.
As I become more proficient with my skills; I wonder if I should create a "tropical diseases" speciality for my piano doctoring. Looks as if it may become a necessity.


No comments:

Post a Comment