Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Zelda Has a Brother

Today I took off a half day from work to "pick up" Yuri, Zelda's new brother. He's a bit heavier than the old girl and a bit younger (though I still have to date him exactly, I'm guessing mid-1920s) and in much, much worse shape.

Once again, though, good bones -- another Baltimore baby. This time a Charles Stieff; so called during its heyday "the poor man's Steinway."

He's had a rough life. Termites have chewed through much of the keyframe, the case has been battered a lot and some feeble attempts at repairs have created more problems than the original damage. Pedals are dysfunctional. Strings are probably salvageable though all the tuning pins are rusted so everything is going to have to be taken apart and reworked. Supposedly, he was in one family in Key West for about 70 years so I'm guessing he was sitting by an open window in the salt air. Dampers, action & hammers look like they can be saved for the most part. Pinblock, most bridges (except one) and sound board are in good shape. The keytops actually look pretty good -- I'm guessing once again, but perhaps not played that much?

He's going to be a challenge. But by the time I finish with both Yuri and Zelda, I should well be on my way to establishing my repair and restoration skills.

One more concert to go this weekend (just finished singing in the Mozart Requiem last Sunday) and then I turn 100% of my non-job hours into working on the two pianos this summer. The cottage is going to become piano workshop central.

My goal is still to have Zelda ready to sing for her 100th birthday on July 24th. Yuri will, at that point, be very much a work in progress.

Obviously, there's much more to come; but I just wanted to document his first day at the cottage. Moving this 800 pound bad boy was a bit on the strenuous side. I'm exhausted and ready for a good night's sleep.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are back on the air -- was getting worried.

    HB

    ReplyDelete